Subject: RE: Batteries?

RE: Batteries?

From: Fred Maxwell <rockbox_at_anti-spam.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 03:20:57 -0500

Neon John wrote:

> One of my friends has been using alkalines in his unit for some time,
> mainly because he doesn't like fooling with recharging and because he
> has access to freebies.

Please encourage your friend to go back to NiMH batteries for the sake of
the environment. Each year, Americans throw away 84,000 tons of alkaline
batteries. Alkaline batteries now comprise 20% of the household hazardous
materials present in America's landfills. When the alkaline batteries enter
a landfill, the casings can be crushed, or can easily degrade, which causes
mercury and other toxins to leach into the environment.

I don't want to sound like an environmental nut-case, but using NiMH
batteries is hardly a terrible inconvenience. In fact, I'd rather use NiMH
batteries than crack open the case of my Archos to replace alkalines over
and over. As to the "freebies", if the batteries are coming from his
employer, they employer is paying for them and that can't be good for his
company, the other employees, or the stockholders.

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell