Subject: RE: Batteries?

RE: Batteries?

From: VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) <"VanBaren,>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:18:38 -0700

New alkaline batteries are significantly above their 1.5v nominal value when unloaded. My recollection is 1.8v or more. 4x1.8v = 7.2v, which will damage electronic parts. Even 4x1.5v = 6v exceeds the typical "absolute max" voltage of 5v parts (5.5v).

When you put alkalines in, you probably will get away with it because the unit will draw them down pretty quickly to the safe voltage range, hopefully without damaging anything. Even if there is no damage apparent, you are stressing the parts which can cause premature failure.

Personally, I see no point in risking a $200++ unit, even if the batteries were free.

gvb

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege. If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.