Subject: RE: Archos USB A-Male to A-Male against USB Law !!!
From: Andreas Stemmer (groovingandi_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2003-12-17

SteamShip wrote:
> On a serious note, I was looking for a high quality, well insulated
> cable with gold connectors made by a company that takes cable
> manufactuing seriously. None of the recognized, quality cable
> suppliers have one available. If I only wanted a "Roadrunner Acme
> Brand USB Cable" I will just keep using the default "no name" one
> that shipped with the unit.
>
> When you do technical research on various USB, IDE, SATA, Parallel,
> SCSI cables and how much difference there is in actual measured
> performance, and shielding from other electromagnetic sources, you
> will know why I am looking for quality.

High quality cables with a good shielding are important for certain
applications. But I never experienced any problems with USB cables since USB
doesn't have very high requirements for the cable. Even a 0.95 cable is
shielded good enough to allow USB transfers at maximum speed. If not, it's
not a USB cable. You don't need gold connectors either, since gold
connectors only make sense if _both_ connectors are gold-plated!

I suggest you try one of those cheap cables (you don't lose much) and
measure the transfer rate. Then decide if you can get out more with a better
cable. I guess not.

Just my 0.02...

Andreas