Subject: Re: Search Plugin

Re: Search Plugin

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:40:39 +0100

TP Diffenbach wrote:
> > -- database, database, database.
> Why do you think I asked about usage patterns in my poll? ;)

Excellent! See feature request #613544. :-)

> Another problem is working memory: unless we want to use the mpeg buffer,
> we'll need to limit the database to about 20KB of working memory; the code
> can /probably/ be loaded in the 32KB reserved for plugins, but the plugin
> API would have to be extended to allow the manipulation of playlists, and
> the database would probably need additional working memory.

My thinking about an ID3 database is that it should probably be a plugin, simply because it's a GUI-grabbing function. At least my picture of it (a tool for searching for tracks and building playlists).

I also think you should waste as much disk space as you want, if it saves cpu processing and/or RAM needs. We all have gigs and gigs of disk space, but just a few measly kilobytes of ram to play with.

I don't think you should worry about avoiding disk access, since that won't be possible anyway. The database is on disk, and must be searched on disk. Use the disk to its' fullest, that's what it's there for.

--
Björn