Subject: serenity prayer Re: (was Re: BUGS - ARGH)
From: Jon Drukman (jsd_at_cluttered.com)
Date: 2003-12-18

At 03:33 PM 12/17/2003, roland wrote:
>btw: does anybody have exact english translation for the following saying?
>it is not really related to this "flaming" but since i
>heard this sentence, it changed my mind somehow - and i actually like it
>very much: Lieber Gott, gib mir die Kraft, zu ändern, was
>ich ändern kann, laß mich ertragen, was ich nicht ändern kann und gib mir
>die Weisheit, das eine vom anderen zu unterscheiden. [no -
>i`m not a religious person :D ]

it's called the serenity prayer.

http://open-mind.org/Serenity.htm

God give me the serenity to accept things which cannot be changed;
Give me courage to change things which must be changed;
And the wisdom to distinguish one from the other.

in the US at least, it is commonly associated with Alcoholics Anonymous. :)

-jsd-