Subject: RE: Search Plugin
From: TP Diffenbach (rockbox_at_diffenbach.org)
Date: 2003-12-18

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se [mailto:owner-rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se]On
Behalf Of Björn Stenberg
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 4:24 AM
To: rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se

TP Diffenbach wrote:
> We can't really buy much by "wasting" disk space: what we can buy is more
> entities in the cache by splitting the tables a bit.

I was thinking about doing things like creating sorted tables with large
fixed-length fields, allowing fast binary search directly on disk.

Maybe it doesn't fit into your plans. That's fine, it was just an indication
of my preferences.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. Yeah, I would /probably/ have gone with fixed
field sizes on disk.

(Unfortunately, we'd still have to read the unused space into the /disk's/
buffer, even if we then seek'd for the relevant data. And my preference
would have been for big fixed sizes, given that I have some track titles of