Subject: Re: The future
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2003-12-19 wrote:
> Here's another one to consider. These folks have been making flash memory
> mp3 player/recorders for quite a while, and have just announced a hard
> drive model.

This appears to be a rebranded XClef HD-500, which indeed looks like a pretty nice device:

I found some info in a dutch forum:

Photo of internals:

Microcontroller: Motorola MCF5249, with a ColdFire CPU clocked at 120 MHz.
USB controller: Our old friend the In-System ISD300
Flash: AM 29LV160DB-EC90

Motorola sample block schematic:

Motorola MCF5249 product page, with plenty of documentation:

The display resolution is 160x105 and uses EL backlight.

This indeed looks like a device we could have fun some with!

(Xclef also makes an 1.8"-disk model called HD-800. Those of you who value size over capacity may want to have a look at that.)