Subject: Re: The future
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-12-19

ajf_at_midmaine.com wrote:
> Here's another one to consider. These folks have been making flash memory
> mp3 player/recorders for quite a while, and have just announced a hard
> drive model.
>
> http://www.pogoproducts.com/

This appears to be a rebranded XClef HD-500, which indeed looks like a pretty nice device: http://www.xclef.com/pro03_e.htm

I found some info in a dutch forum:
  http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/811305

Photo of internals:
  http://www.emmeau.com/xclef/xclef-print.jpg

Microcontroller: Motorola MCF5249, with a ColdFire CPU clocked at 120 MHz.
USB controller: Our old friend the In-System ISD300
Flash: AM 29LV160DB-EC90

Motorola sample block schematic:
  http://www.emmeau.com/xclef/layoutbig.gif

Motorola MCF5249 product page, with plenty of documentation:
  http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MCF5249L

The display resolution is 160x105 and uses EL backlight.

This indeed looks like a device we could have fun some with!

(Xclef also makes an 1.8"-disk model called HD-800. Those of you who value size over capacity may want to have a look at that.)

--
Björn