Subject: Re: The future
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-12-19

roland wrote:
> mhhh - maybe there is no hardware mp3 decoding in this device?
> all done with software on that powerful cpu ?

Yes, all audio processing is done in software. This is a GOOD thing.

A Motorola application note says "the MP3 decoder requires just 19MHz* on a ColdFireV2 with EMAC core." (*=worst case data, single cycle memory access)

This MP3 codec is available from Motorola on request. There is also a WMA decoder, but it requires a license from Microsoft so I think we should skip that and aim for Ogg Vorbis instead.

The license for the MP3 codec code says:

 "Motorola grants to you, free of charge, the non-exclusive, non-transferable right
  (1) to use the Software,
  (2) to reproduce the Software,
  (3) to prepare derivative works of the Software,
  (4) to distribute the Software and derivative works thereof in source (human-readable) form and object (machine-readable) form, and
  (5) to sublicense to others the right to use the distributed Software."

Looks pretty good.

--
Björn