Subject: RE: FW: RipDrive MP3 player
From: TP Diffenbach (
Date: 2003-12-19

-----Original Message-----
From: []On
Behalf Of Björn Stenberg
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 11:20 AM

TP Diffenbach wrote:
> Agreed, but being less mechanically inclined than you, I'd want to see
> source for low-level hardware interaction routines.

Agreed. My point was just that asking companies for source code often scares
them. Asking for hardware information appears to be less threatening.

Point taken.

But when companies ask me for $300, it often scares me that their hardware may be unusable because of crap software. If it hadn't been for Rockbox, I'd likely have returned my Archos.

Which brings up another point: maybe I should have returned it anyway, given that hardware problems have rendered it an inoperable $550 paper-weight. The RipDrive/X-clef looks nice (and will look even nicer with a 60GB drive), but I don't want another Archos-level quality control nightmare. Of course, the question is, who bells the cat by buying one and knocking it around a bit?