Subject: RE: FW: RipDrive MP3 player
From: TP Diffenbach (rockbox_at_diffenbach.org)
Date: 2003-12-19

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se [mailto:owner-rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se]On
Behalf Of Björn Stenberg
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 11:20 AM
To: rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se

TP Diffenbach wrote:
> Agreed, but being less mechanically inclined than you, I'd want to see
their
> source for low-level hardware interaction routines.

Agreed. My point was just that asking companies for source code often scares
them. Asking for hardware information appears to be less threatening.

--
Björn

Point taken.

But when companies ask me for $300, it often scares me that their hardware may be unusable because of crap software. If it hadn't been for Rockbox, I'd likely have returned my Archos.

Which brings up another point: maybe I should have returned it anyway, given that hardware problems have rendered it an inoperable $550 paper-weight. The RipDrive/X-clef looks nice (and will look even nicer with a 60GB drive), but I don't want another Archos-level quality control nightmare. Of course, the question is, who bells the cat by buying one and knocking it around a bit?