Subject: A question about swapping memory in a memory based MP3 player
From: Elliott, Tim (Tim.Elliott_at_ips-sendero.com)
Date: 2003-12-19

Today I got bored so I took my memory based MP3 player apart.
I started doing searches on the various chips in the device and found the
memory chip.
It is this chip..
http://www.toshiba.com/taec/components/Datasheet/TC58128AFT-01-5-30.pdf

The unit is a 128MB thumb drive with onboard mp3 player. I got it for $50
and it is a decent unit for such a cheap knockoff. It must have been made in
deepest china though, because no searches on the model number or name turn
up anything.

What I would like to know, is if I got one of these chips...

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/components/Datasheet/Th58100FT-01-3-5.pdf

Could I just swap them out and instantly upgrade to a 1GB thumb drive?

I have checked and all pins are the same between the two chips, and every
thing looks to be exactly the same, even the size and pinout is exact. Is
there something else that is controlling where to stop writing the data to?
Much like the firmware on an HDD? I know that just adding bigger disks to an
HDD would not give you more storage space on the drive.

I found a place that would send me one of the 2nd chips if I asked for it.
www.denali.com Pretty cool place by the way. This is where I found the info
on my chips.

Thanx
Tim