Subject: Re: Lame IS THE ANSWER

Re: Lame IS THE ANSWER

From: c s <rb_dev_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:49:31 -0800 (PST)

--- SteamShip <steamship_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Don't listen to the others recommending a program
> that you have to buy (no offense intended). The
> above link is completely free

What are you talking about? The only recomendations in
this thread have been for free programs that just like
EAC, also use the free Lame encoder. Since the thing
that controlls the quality of the resulting MP3
encoding is the thing that all the recomendations have
in common... the Lame encoder, and the rest is just a
user interface wrapped around that encoder, the smart
thing to do is pick the one that matches your needs
for features and ease of use. I found FreeRIP
(http://www.mgshareware.com/frmmain.shtml) to be
extremely powerful, easy to use, and packaged with
everything needed in one download, in addition to
being completely free.

Since EAC seems to be extremely popular, I plan to
take a look at that too now just in case it has some
nifty feature that I didn't relize I might want. After
I do that, if I discover that either FreeRIP or EAC
has any significant differences or advantages in my
opinion, I'll report that here so that others can
decide on their own what might be best for their
needs.

The main point to remember is that when you have
several choices that all use the Lame encoder, they
all will give you the same quality encoding, so you
should pick one that has the simplicity or complexity
of user interface features that you desire.

=====
Craig

rb_dev_at_yahoo.com