Subject: RE: EAC/Lame
From: Jon Drukman (jsd_at_cluttered.com)
Date: 2003-12-20

At 01:20 PM 12/19/2003, Fred Maxwell wrote:
>Jon Drukman wrote:
>
> > cdex comes with everything you need, including the lame
> > encoder library.
> >
> > http://www.cdex.n3.net/
> >
> > i've used it to encode hundreds of discs. it's really easy to
> > use. basically stick disc in drive, push one button on cdex, and wait a
>bit.
>
>Once properly configured, EAC is just the same. It handles the retrieval of
>titles, naming of songs, creation of subdirectories (as required),
>converting to MP3, etc. It, of course, also does far more.

cdex does everything eac does and it is open source to boot.

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

>Its primary advantage over other ripping software is that it detects read
>errors and does multiple rereads to attempt an error-free read of the sector
>in question. . Other CD ripping software will accept the data received
>from CD-ROM drives without checking for read errors. These errors sometimes
>are audible. EAC does multiple reads to verify that the read was accurate
>and reproduceable. It also corrects for sample offsets in CD reading
>drives. I've used a lot of CD ripping software over the years, but the only
>Windows package I trust is Exact Audio Copy.

personally i think you've got very little to worry about with a decent
cdrom drive. the threat of jitter and read errors has been grossly
exaggerated. my 2nd job is audio engineer, so i have a pro audio system
with digital output from my computer thru a digital mixing desk and into
flat response studio monitors. believe me, i am very sensitive to
artifacts and errors.

-jsd-