Subject: Re: The futReply-To:
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-12-20

Neon John wrote:
> Does M$ really charge a royalty for WMA in freeware products? Even in M$
> LunacyThink (TM) it's hard to imagine them limiting the distribution of the
> WMA format within the freeware world.

I don't know. I have hard time seeing them handing over their source code and saying "have fun, do whatever you want".

> I personally can't see wasting time on an inferior format like Ogg. Bitrate
> for bitrate, imnsho,it sound like crap even compared to MP3.

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that. I have quite the opposite impression myself, and it seems I am not alone:

  http://www.infoanarchy.org/story/2002/9/8/23472/23921
  http://audio.ciara.us/test/128extension/results.html
  http://ff123.net/64test/results.html

> This looks like fabulous hardware. My offer is still open. I'll buy one for
> an established developer if that will speed the porting of RockBox.

I might take you up on that. :-)

--
Björn