Subject: RE: EAC/Lame
From: Fred Maxwell (rockbox_at_anti-spam.org)
Date: 2003-12-20

> cdex does everything eac does and it is open source to boot.

No, cdex does not do everything that EAC does. Its error detection and
correction is practically non-existent. See this article:

http://doc.hydrogenaudio.org/wikis/hydrogenaudio/SecureAudioExtraction

I just downloaded it and gave it a quick look. From what I see, it can't
generate cue sheets. It doesn't have the ability to cue up tracks at
suspect read points so that you can listen for problems. It doesn't have a
wav editor. It can't auto-determine read offset from a test CD. It can't
burn CDs and, thus, can't create offset-free audio CDs or create offset test
CDs.

> personally i think you've got very little to worry about with a decent
> cdrom drive.

I've not found that to be true -- even when using well cared for CDs. If
you rip with EAC and see how often it encounters correctable errors, it will
be an eye-opener for you. I use it with a Yamaha CRW-3200 CD burner, a
LiteOn LTD-163D DVD drive, and a LiteOn 52327S CD burner. All are very
respected drives and seldom will a CD read from one end to the other with
100% "track quality."

> the threat of jitter and read errors has been grossly
> exaggerated. my 2nd job is audio engineer, so i have a pro audio system
> with digital output from my computer thru a digital mixing desk and into
> flat response studio monitors.

Studio monitors can be very revealing, but seldom are they anywhere near as
flat as good high-end audiophile speakers (yes, I have worked in a real
recording studio).

> believe me, i am very sensitive to artifacts and errors.

I bet that EAC is more so. But if you want to listen for errors and
artifacts, use good headphones (like Grado RS or high-end SR series,
Sennheiser HD600s) run from a class-A amp.

I'm really tired of the open source argument. EAC works better than CDex.
Photoshop works better than GIMP. Unreal Tournament 2003 is a better game
than Tux Racer. I'm not going to accept a second-rate program over a better
one just because the second rate program is open source.

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell