Subject: Re: Poll, please read: What's your next MP3 player? Have you hardware problems with your Archos?
From: Neon John (
Date: 2003-12-20

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:20:14 -0500, "TP Diffenbach" <>

>Please indicate in a reply to this post when you next expect to buy an MP3
>player, and what you plan to buy. Please indicate, on a scale of 1 to 5, how
>important it is to you to have Rockbox on your next player, as opposed to
>another firmware, with 1 being not important at all, and 5 being so
>important you would not buy a product that did not run Rockbox.

I've hoarded up 2 extra recorders and a player other than my day to day one so
I'm set. If something like that Xclef player came along with a bigger screen
and RockBox then I'd sell or give away my Archos hardware and buy immediately.
Anything I use MUST have all the rockbox functionality.
>IF you have had hardware problems with your Archos, that required returning
>or repairing the unit, please include in your reply:
> how long you had the unit before the failure occurred,
> whether it was returned or repaired,
> and whether it is currently useable.

Three FMRs. Exchanged at Best Buy under their PRP. First one lasted probably
4 months until the headphone jack crapped out. Second one died in the parking
lot after about 10 minutes of on time. Third one lasted about a month before
the battery swelled and broke the thing apart. Got a refund on the PRP, went
to Circuit City and bought a Recorder. I've had it for probably 6 months with
absolutely no problems.

I've had the player (studio 10) about 4 months, running continuously playing
music in my restaurant. No problems.

>If you had more than one hardware problem occurrence (e.g., returned a unit,
>then had to return the replacement), please list each return/repair
>If your Archos is not currently in use, please indicate why, and what
>replacement, if any, you have purchased.
>To avoid annoying other readers of the list, please keep the subject as it
>is (or with "re:" pre-pended) so that other readers can skip these posts if
>they wish.

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN