Subject: Re: The future
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-12-21

Josh Nisly wrote:
> Why not port RockBox to the iPod? The player is smaller (and IMO better
> looking) than the Archos models, and is _very_ popular.

I have a few reasons for not looking into it myself (yet):

- Personally, the iPod is not sufficient for my needs. I want >40GB disk space.

- The ipodlinux project has found that the processor isn't powerful enough to decode mp3 nor ogg by itself. Which makes me believe there is something (like a DSP or MAC) in the Portalplayer chip that Apple uses and ipodlinux doesn't. And it appears PortalPlayer is one of those companies who won't tell you how their chip works until you promise to buy 10.000 units.

- The iPod appears to have much of the firewire support in software. This gives us a burden and bug source that will take a while to get stable.

--
Björn