Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Misflashed Archos Jukebox Recorder FM

Re: Misflashed Archos Jukebox Recorder FM

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:30:26 +0100 (MET)

> I've made a mistake when flashing my Archos Jukebox Recoder's bootloader.
> I took the wrong package and flashed the Recoder Firmware instead the FM
> Recorder Bootloader.

Oh no, not again. I did implement checks against this, should not happen to
at least "new" flashers, but I had to relax them for the existing ones, where
both Recorder and FM could have a version of 2.00.
Which model do you have, FM or recorder?

> Since I could start the original Recorder software, I disassembled the
> device,
> copied ajbrec.ajz to the root folder and hoped to have the appropriate
> rockbox software started by the original Archos Firmware (1.28). But this
> approach has not been successful; the archos software now hangs two
> seconds
> after starting it.

So you are able to bring in a ajbrec.ajz by taking the disk out and in? That
mightbe a way. Have you tried rockbox and original, for your box? You may
also try an Archos software from the ROM. Get the Archos ucl from my flash
page, unpack and scramble it properly. This contains more init code than the
"aftermarket" Archos ajz.

> The Rockbox software still can be started, but none of the buttons reacts
> (USB
> neither), but the software seems to be running properly.
> Is there anything I can do?

If you can get it to execute our software, we can. (e.g. a special version
of Rockbox which does nothing but reflashing)

> I've read something about a UART modification to
> repair scrambled roms. Can you give me more information on that?

Yes, this is the fallback if you have a box with boot ROM (very likely). I'm
updating my info about this, tell me if you need it. You need to make the
serial mod, have a level converter to connect it to your PC, and another mod
(the UART boot mod) to make it start in a special mode that allows feeding
software via UART. The 3 LCD control lines have to be pulled down at startup. Can
you solder tiny stuff, would you be able to follow that?

Jörg