Subject: Re: EAC/Lame THE ANSWER !!!
From: Brian King (brking_at_charter.net)
Date: 2003-12-22

Fred Maxwell wrote:

> Jon asks 'why use it'? I have a better question: Why not use it? Why run
> the risk that errors will creep into your rips? EAC is free and practically
> guarantees error-free ripping. Why use anything else?

For the reasons already described. For me, the reason is that it is a
windows only program and I do not have nor do I care to have a windows
machine. The number of windows machines I use exponentially increases my
stress level. I have never had any problems using cdparanoia myself and
I certainly can't tell the difference between the original CD and what
cdparanoia has ripped. If I do have a CD in very bad shape that
cdparanoia has trouble with and can't even do error correction on (which
has happened on 1 or 2 occasions), its not like errors creep into the
rip and I don't know about it. For me, the encoding is definitely much
more important. Anything less than lame --r3mix and my ears are not happy.

-Brian