Subject: RE: EAC/Lame THE ANSWER !!!

RE: EAC/Lame THE ANSWER !!!

From: Mark Bright <mark.bright_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 07:27:42 -0000

Sorry, I was not clear: The 37 minutes was for a full CD of 22 tracks (1
hour 19 minutes - Jools Holland; Big Band Small World), 18 of them came off
at 100%, a couple were 97%, it was one of the 97% tracks that I used for
quality testing. Based on the assumption; Use a track where it obvious that
some addition work has been performed.

The point I was trying to make is:
Yes EAC/LAME *may* be the best Quality ripper/encoder solution (It's the
best I have used) BUT that’s not to say it the BEST ripper for EVERYONE.

For My personal use, it is too slow, and the additional quality is not a
good enough reason for my usage patterns, and that may be the same for other
people. Many people want a solution that is fast, easy, and good enough.

A couple of years ago I was about to go shopping for a new CD player, with a
budget of £600 to £1000. I did not want to take too many 'Reference' CD's
with me, so I created a compilation of 6 or 7, tried and tested, reference
tracks. For this use, there was only one solution. To be sure I took the
test disc and a couple of the originals to a friends house and played them
on his system (VERY High End), and there was no noticeable difference.

Now id the discussion was "What is the BEST QUALITY ripper/encoder combo on
ANY platform..." I can understand your passion for this solution., but if
the question is "What is the Best Ripper/encoder for me?" Surely we are
talking "Horses for Courses"?

Mark