Subject: Re: WinXP problem
From: Brian Wolven (brian.wolven_at_verizon.net)
Date: 2003-12-25

Neon John wrote:
> Running WinXP Pro with all the patches on this laptop (Dell
> Inspiron). When I plug in the Recorder, it pops up a window that
> asks what to do. If I say "Open folder for viewing", all is fine in
> that instance of Explorer.
>
> The problem is, if I open another instance of explorer, that drive
> doesn't appear in the list of available drives. If I type the drive
> letter explicitly on the URL line, it goes there but the drive is
> described as "raw" and will not accept long file names.
>
> If I try to set up any kind of autorun.inf, the same problem arises.
> No instance of explorer opens, of course, and the new drive letter
> does not appear in the list of drives that a manually opened instance
> of Explorer shows. Again, if I type the letter explicitly, it will
> go there but again mounts as "raw".

I've never seen the "raw" issue, under XP or 2k, with a variety of PC's. No
clue there. I can't stand the autorun stuff, so I disabled it completely for
my Archos drive letter using MS's TweakUI. Whether that might make the other
issues go away or not, I don't know. Have you verified that everything on
the recorder is otherwise formatted properly?

> Perhaps a related problem, I want to force the Archos drives to not
> use a recycle bin and not to store system information. I can set
> these parameters but they don't stick. When I dismount the drive,
> the settings go away.

I've never found a solution for that either. I could try doing a diff on
some registry entries before and after disabling it manually, and then find
a way to implement the change automatically, but I don't connect it to the
PC often enough to have made that worthwhile yet. If anyone else has found a
solution, I'd like to hear it as well.