Subject: Re: FMR's flash chip
From: BlueChip (
Date: 2003-12-25

At 16:53 25/12/03, you wrote:
>As far as we know, do all FMRs come with a flashable ROM, or do some come
>non-flashable (or non-flashable with Jorg's flash_rock?) (Jorg, sorry, I'm
>typing this on an Apple, and I don't know how to type accented charcters).
>If all FMRs are /not/ flashable, how can the flashable chip be identified by
>someone looking at the circuit board/chip (not identified by software, but by
>physical inspection of the internal hardware)?
>Archos FM has a Rockbox!

Hope this is helpful. But I don't know the schematic, so this is really a

Read off ALL the chip numbers, the 3587 is the MP3 chip, the 'sh1' (don't
know part code) is the processor, there will be some memory and a flash chip.

A google for the two chip numbers (of a logical sub-part thereof) should
soon tell you whether you are looking at a RAM or FLASH or (E)(E)(P)ROM :)

If you plan to take the back off again in the near future, i'm sure there
will be a better answer to your question from someone else :)