Subject: RE: Cmpress dynamic range
From: Andreas Stemmer (groovingandi_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2003-12-26

Dario Carluccio wrote:
> So I need a compressor, which compresses the dynamic from the
> mp3-file. This can be done with cool-edit, but I'm searching a too,
> which can do a batch process for many mp3-files.

I don't know if cool-edit has some kind of macro language or batch
processing... Wavelab has but is very expensive. Both programs wouldn't be
able to do it without decoding/encoding the mp3s.

I wonder if such a task could be done without decoding/encoding the
material. Perhaps it would be possible to cut the mp3 frame-wise (like
MP3DirectCut), process each single frame with MP3Gain (with a little
dependency on earlier frames) and put all together into one file afterwards?

But, to answer your question, it would be possible with Wavelab, but you'll
lose all your id3-tags. GoldWave is capable of batch processing, too.

> Or is there a way to tell rockbox to play the mp3 with compressed
> dynamic?

Use the Auto Volume Feature with a short decay time.

Andreas