Subject: Audio Feedback
From: Christopher Moore (christopher.h.moore_at_verizon.net)
Date: 2003-12-28

Several of my blind friends have archos recorder units and were wondering
whether there is a way to get some sort of audio feedback on what is on the
display.
I suspect the units do not have a PC speaker, but it might be possible to
play back some pre-recorded mp3 messages in response to certain conditions.
For example, a series of voice prompts could be used to guide someone with setting
options. I suppose this could be extended to spelling filenames.

If such a project were to be undertaken, one of my first questions is where
to store the voice prompts for fast access. Storing each prompt in a
separate mp3 file and playing it as needed is a simple approach but perhaps
storing the prompts in a single file or region on disk and accessing the
prompts via a table might be faster.

I'm open to any comments at this point as I've just begun to think about
this project.

Thanks.
Chris