Subject: RE: Silence detection
From: Andreas Stemmer (groovingandi_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2003-12-28

Neon John wrote:
> Is anyone actually able to make a quality recording on the Recorder?
> Both of mine generate so much whine from the HD and display whenever
> the backlight is on that the recordings are useless for quality.

I use the jukebox for band rehearsal recordings regularly. The built-in mic
is more or less useless, but the recordings from line in are quite good if
you have enough signal strength from a mixer or a external mic, so that you
can keep the jukebox gain setting as low as possible. If you turn up the
gain on the jukebox, you'll get too much noise from the harddisk.

> I do a lot of tape and record dubbing but I do it on my computer.
> This soooo much more friendly and the quality is so much better, even
> with my cheap audio card, that I never even considered using the
> Recorder for anything other than voice recordings.

Yes of course, you'll always get better quality with a computer. But in many
cases, a computer is just not practical because of size and portability. For
these cases, the jukebox is the perfect recording device (regarding
quality-cost-ratio).

Andreas