Subject: Re: newbie setup question: redhat 8.0 and usb 2.0
From: William Garber (william.garber_at_worldnet.att.net)
Date: 2003-12-29

Yes, usb 2.0 works when I do insmod ehci-hcd.

Could you please show me how to do this
automatically with /etc/modules.conf
I included the lines

alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd

and rebooted, didn't work, reversed order of
lines, rebooted, didn't work.

Thanx

William Garber said:

> newbie question
> I have stock redhat 8.0 kernel
> I am not using rockbox, just original archos firmware.
>
> root_at_electron>###
> root_at_electron>### cd
> root_at_electron>### cat /etc/fstab
> LABEL=/1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
> LABEL=/boot1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
> none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
> /dev/hdg4 /mnt/zip auto noauto,owner 0 0
> /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0
> /dev/hda5 /mnt/winx vfat defaults 1 1
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera vfat noauto,user 0 0
> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
>
> root_at_electron>###
> root_at_electron>### mount /mnt/camera
> mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
> root_at_electron>###
>
> It works fine for usb 1.1 connection but does the above for
> usb 2.0 card.
> I had the archos turned on before booting the computer.
>
> Do I need to insmod usb-storage or rmmod ide-scsi ?
>
> I could try uploading rockbox firmware on the usb1.1 connection
> would this invalidate the warranty???
> Thanx, W.G.

You may need to load module ehci-hcd, which is the USB 2.0 handler module.
-- Mike Holden Rockbox page: http://www.mikeholden.org/~rockbox