Subject: Re: ext3 in archos?

Re: ext3 in archos?

From: Chris Muth <rockbox_at_muth.cc>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:13:10 -0600

On 12/29/03 at 6:33 AM BlueChip wrote:

>A couple of things jump out at me here.
>
>First off, yes, with flashed code, there is little reason for linux users
>to be confined to the restraints of FAT. BUT suddenly your archos cannot
>be used to xfr files to/from your friend's non-linux box ...which may or
>may not be relevant to you.

This is all very true.
If one uses Linux, and is not concerned about transferring to/from a windows
machine, then - for them - it might be easier to just use a sane file system.
Rockbox could support various file systems via #ifdef's in the code, that way the
Rockbox binary would not have so much wasted code for the file systems that are
not in use. Since I am not involved in the development and will not be writing the
code, someone else would have to do that if they feel that it is a relevant feature.

>As for symlinks, I can see no reason why we should not implement that
>anyway. Windows offers .lnk files, it wouldn't be tooo hard to add that
>the rockbox UI.

I posted a link to a few files the describe the binary format of the lnk files a
while ago. I too think that supporting those would be a good idea.

Hmm... What about with the "Repeat: All" option set? This is where it plays
mp3's later in the directory after the one that one started. So one has a link at the
end of a directory that links to the next. Does rockbox follow the link and continue
playing? Questions, questions, questions.... :-)

>BC

Take Care,
        Chris