Subject: Re: newbie setup question: redhat 8.0 and usb 2.0

Re: newbie setup question: redhat 8.0 and usb 2.0

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:13:05 -0000 (GMT)

William Garber said:
> Yes, usb 2.0 works when I do insmod ehci-hcd.
>
> Could you please show me how to do this
> automatically with /etc/modules.conf
> I included the lines
>
> alias usb-controller usb-uhci
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
>
> and rebooted, didn't work, reversed order of
> lines, rebooted, didn't work.

alias doesn't actually load any modules into the kernel, it just gives
alternative names. usb-controller should be loaded automatically by the
USB subsystem, so whichever one is aliased should be loaded. Have a look
in /var/log/messages for information about what is loaded at boot time.

What you want is the "probeall" line below, which will do a "modprobe" on
each of the modules in the list that follows. It doesn't matter if a
module is loaded several times, as second loading is simply ignored. This
will load a handler module for both your USB 1 and USB 2 interfaces.

probeall usb-interface usb-uhci ehci-hcd
--
Mike Holden
Rockbox page: http://www.mikeholden.org/~rockbox