Subject: Suggestions for chip8 emulator
From: Joseph Jones (joe_at_bumpycarrot.cjb.net)
Date: 2003-12-29

A lot of the chip8 games I find are unplayable because they use keys not
bound to physical keys on the JBR. Also, yesterday I flashed my JBR with
the daily cvs build and found that optimisations had made some games
unplayably fast.

My suggestion is the addition of an on+play menu item for *.ch8 files
that allows the plug-in to be configured for that game. This launches a
setup system that introduces three new optional features:

1. A slow-down feature, which does exactly what it sounds like. Slows
down the game as it's running to whatever the user sets.
2. A key-binding feature, allowing logical chip8 keys to be bound to
physical JBR keys.
3. A feature to allow the game to detect keypresses only once per
keypress. If you press and hold a button, it is only detected once by
the game eg. in connect-four it would only move one row along until you
release and re-press the button. Not knowing much about the chip8
machine/language, I don't know how possible this would be.

The settings for these options would then be saved in a central file
which stores the settings for each game. All settings are game-relevant.
When you play a game the emulator would reference the central settings
file, find the settings for the game to be run, apply them and then run
the game.

Thanks for a great piece of firmware :)

Joe