Subject: Re: Gmini Firmware question
From: [IDC]Dragon (
Date: 2003-12-30

> Guessing
> the signing algorithm might be tricky as would be the cracking of the key
> used to sign the firmware. Having access to the gmini's ROM would be
> for this task but I don't know yet if it's physically feasible.

Accessing the ROM is very likely to be feasible, but may not help at all. If
Archos "did it properly", they use real cryptography and a public/private
key pair. The public key may be in the box's ROM, but you need the private key
to author your own firmware. And this is what you're not gonna get...

So, things can be really bulletproofed, but what usually stands against it
- the runtime for a serious decryption, large number arithmetics is slow on
"regular" embedded processors
- implementation flaws that allow you to feed code some other way, thus
bypassing the whole security mechanism, see XBox hacking.

Neu: Preissenkung für MMS und FreeMMS!