Subject: Re: EAC/Lame THE ANSWER !!!
From: Nix (
Date: 2004-01-04

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Fred Maxwell mused:
>> E.g. cdda2wav from cdrtools
> Not even close. It's error detection and correction are, for all intents
> and purposes, non-existent.

Since 2.0 it's been able to use the libparanoia backend, so this is
incorrect. (However, cdparanoia gives better feedback.)

> It doesn't automatically invoke the MP3
> encoder.

`Small tools that do one job well'. MP3 encoding is not its job. That's
the job of scripts that wrap around it.

(I think this is a Unix/Windows cultural difference.)

> It does not do Freedb title lookups.

Again, wrong. It's done it for as long as I can remember, title and
track. (It does CD-Extra and CD-TEXT lookups too, not that I've often
seen either of these).

Pass `cddb=0' to cdda2wav one of these days.

As they say, build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a
path to your door. But nobody ever got anywhere outlawing mice.