Subject: Re: New Bookmark Release - 2004-01-02
From: Magnus Holmgren (lear_at_algonet.se)
Date: 2004-01-04

Benjamin wrote:

> You can download the latest release of the bookmarking code at:
> www.samuraipanda.com/bookmarks-latest.zip
> This includes the precompiled binaries for the FM Recorder, Recorder, and
> Player models. It also has the diff against the 2004-01-01 CVS. The
> following changes were made:
>
> 01. Lots of changes from myself and Henrik to (hopefully) reduce the stack
> usage.
> 02. Minor changes to work with latest CVS.
> 03. Cycling through bookmarks will no longer wrap around on the bookmark
> select menu.
> 04. Updated to 2004-01-01 CVS.

I had a quick look at the code and compared it with an older version.
This version improves a lot in terms of stack usage, and I'd say that
problem is fixed now.

E.g., to load a bookmark file with the old version, 2100 bytes stack
were used for file names and various bookmark buffers. Those have been
replaced with 1400 bytes worth of static ram buffers.

> If you find any issues let me know at rockbox_dev at samuraipanda dot com.
> I'm gonna go lay down and hopefully get over my sickness.

A few small details...

The magic number 45 is used in one function. Should perhaps be a define?

Since global_bookmarkcopy is only used by parse_bookmark, one could
consider putting it in that function (still declared static ofcourse).
On the other hand, having it at the top makes it easier to see the total
amount of static buffers used. :)

Since a playlist filename only can be 260 chars, wouldn't it be possible
to reduce MAX_BOOKMARK_SIZE a bit? Something like 340 seems safe...

--
Magnus Holmgren