Subject: Re: Earn Money with Rockbox on Ebay
From: Nix (
Date: 2004-01-04

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Fred Maxwell uttered the following:
> Neon John wrote:
>> Of what? Assuming he's selling media containing RockBox, he's doing
>> nothing wrong, morally or legally.
> While he may not be breaking the law, what he is doing is morally wrong.
> That's the great thing about morals: Each of us can decide what we believe
> is moral. In my book, it is immoral because he has not disclosed that the
> software is GPL (and that the buyer must comply with the licensing terms of
> the GPL).

But this is not the case. The GPL only comes into effect with respect to
the buyer, and the buyer only need pay attention to it, if and when the
buyer himself tries to redistribute Rockbox (or a derivative work of

In that case, he'd have to check the license in *any* case, no matter
what license Rockbox is covered by.

As they say, build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a
path to your door. But nobody ever got anywhere outlawing mice.