Subject: Getting a flashable ROM
From: SteamShip (steamship_at_sbcglobal.net)
Date: 2004-01-04

Someone asked about their new Version 1 (Model #500277) Recorder from
Amazon not being flashable (has the ?? ?? ). I had ordered two of these
recently from Amazon. Both had the black bumpers, version 1.28 Archos
Crapware, but one had a flashable ROM, the other did not.

I simply called Amazon (800-201-7575) to let them know one of them was
defective upon opening, and they automatically send out a free replacement,
and give you a free return shipping label. Thus, there is no cost to you.
They again have some in stock now, and the new replacement model did have
the flashable ROM....so now I have both units with flashable ROM's, one
goes on the shelf as a backup.

Some may consider this a borderline manipulation, but I honestly believe
that not having a flashable ROM is a defective product issue, since I am
paying my money to get a FULLY functional Recorder to do with what I
choose. This also leaves dealing with the ROM bullshit between Amazon and
Archos. I did not say what the defect was on the item, just that it does
not work properly out of the box, so I did not lie to them. It's up to you
what to do with a discontinued Archos model.