Subject: AW: Silence detection
From: perterm (perterm_at_vce.de)
Date: 2004-01-05

But with this -60db threshold you would achieve nothing but that the silence
_after_ the last song is recorded too. Is that really what you want? I'd
expect that the average user wants to keep the length of the gaps between
the songs but wants the trailing silence cut off. For that we don't need a
third threshold.

> > As for the "split after at least n seconds" parameter - it sholdn't be
> > necessary. I consider it as a attempt to fix something that should be
> > fixed by setting the other trigger parameters properly. Somehow it is
> > the specification of a minimal song lenth.
>
> I consider this parameter a safety net. You're right - if does
> not fix the problem,
> but prevents that you get many small files in case you chose
> unfortunate levels.

This safety net doesn't convince me yet. You still can get many small files
due to bad trigger settings and if you choose good trigger settings it is
not needed. I'd prefer another solution to solve this problem: a plugin that
postprocesses the recordings. Something you could instruct to play a
playlist with all the recorded files and that splits and joins the files
according to their volumes.

> As a follow up: I've recorded two CD albums digitally that way
> and it seems that the first split second of every track is missing.

I hope I can fix that.

Phil