Subject: RE: ext3 in archos?

RE: ext3 in archos?

From: TP Diffenbach <rockbox_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:15:18 -0500

Re symlinks:

we can also do MS-Windows style symlinking, what Windows calls "shortcuts"

I provided a small api for doing just that some months ago; integrating it
into rockbox wouldn't be difficult.

The reason I didn't is that I think Windows shortcuts are inefficient: the
shortcut file ends up being about 1K-2K in size, but for a disk holding MP3s
you want a cluster size of around 16K, so each shortcut ends up wasting a
lot of space. It seemed likely to me that these excessive costs would not be
readily apparent to some proportion of users, so I thought that it was a
misfeature to support shortcuts.

I do agree that certain tracks really beg to be indexed in more than one
way; I'd prefer some combination of playlists and "virtual playlists", or a
database.

That said, if you really want Windows shortcuts, and are willing to pay the
storage costs, you'd just need my api, some smoothing it out relating to
copied shortcuts, and some changes to tree.c.