Subject: AW: Recording as plugin?
From: perterm (perterm_at_vce.de)
Date: 2004-01-08

> Von: Björn Stenberg
>
> perterm wrote:
> > Especially now that I am working on the trigger I wonder
> > why the recording has not been converted to a plugin.
>
> Two reasons:
>
> 1) Conceptually, recording is a core feature of the recorder
> models. Plugins are intended for non-core add-on functionality.

I agree that it is a disadvantage that someone might forget to install the
rocording plugin and end up with a firmware (e.g. flashed) that can not
record by itself. Yet I think the advantage of keeping the core small may
outweigh this disadvantage.

> 2) Technically, moving recording to a plugin requires
> exposing/moving/splitting a great deal of the internal mpeg
> implementation to the plugin api.

We could leave the mpeg stuff as it is but make the apps part a plugin. That
would move all the menus, much of the trigger control and other future code
(think of recording timers) out of the core code. I have the impression that
only a small number of recorder owners actually do use recording at all.
Maybe it would be better to reduce the memory occupied by code that nearly
noone uses in order to free it for mpeg buffer. Now the recording part may
not be that big yet. But I see it grow. And I'd like to avoid having a plain
stupid recording functionality in the core code and then have numerous
plugins like recording-with-trigger, recording-with-auto-gain-control,
recording-with-timer, recording-with-time-split...
I can't imagine how that could become user friendly.

Phil