Subject: RE: MAS

RE: MAS

From: VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) <"VanBaren,>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 09:27:02 -0700

This smells strongly of a marketing ploy:

<quote>
None of the security measures on Zenon, including the Serial Copy Management System, were available on Micronas' previous MP3 player chips. Micronas is unable to ship its MAS3587F to the United States because the chip, an encoder/decoder designed to support the ripping of tracks from a CD, violates the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992, von Janecek said. But a change in the chip's firmware has enabled Micronas to sell it as the MAS35x9F MP3 decoder with AAC and G.729 voice codec features.

By combining that chip with Zenon, Micronas can offer audio player manufacturers a two-chip solution for MP3 players with recording, playback and security features.
</quote>

So they "cannot" ship the MAS3587F to the U.S., but they can offer a two-chip solution which includes the chip they "cannot" ship to the U.S. My, how convenient (for their bottom line).

<IANAL>
There is a lot of legal precedence that it is NOT illegal to sell hardware/software that CAN be used illegally as long as that is not the PRINCIPLE function (i.e. reason for existance) of that hardware/software.
</IANAL>

gvb

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege. If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.