Subject: Re: Viewing Files With Plugins
From: Henrik Backe (backe_at_swipnet.se)
Date: 2004-01-08

"Daniel Stenberg" <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote in message

> Viewing a File
>
> 3. Check if ".rockbox/viewer/[extension]-[anything].rock" exists, and if
it
> does: use that.

Why -[anything] ?

As I see it rockbox/viewer/[extension]-[anything].rock are
the default viewers for extensions that are not internally recognized.
Having -[anything] makes it possible to have multiple default viewers
for an extension which may lead to the land of confusion.

As I see it replace the default viewer you should use viewer.config or
replace the rockbox/viewer/[extension].rock

The drawback of not having -[anything] in the filename is that
you can not immediately see what plugin the viewer derives from.

> View With
>
> The concept of "view supported" files will break, so we should probably
> remove that.
Please don't break it, it's the "file view" I (almost) always use.

Anyway if the viewer.config table is kept in RAM (loaded at boot and
when "played"), then we could keep "view supported"

> Icons
>
> There's currently no solution here for how to make particular files get
> custom icons in the dir browser. We could probably let the existing icons
> remain until we think of a system to fix this.

Having .rockbox/icons directory with all the [extension].icon files
that get loaded at boot time or when played sounds like the way to go.
I even volunteer to do the job.

.../Henrik