Subject: Re: Recording as plugin? && Icons for file extensions
From: BlueChip (
Date: 2004-01-08

At 19:21 08/01/04, you wrote:
>Joseph Jones wrote:
> > Problem I see with that is that the plug-ins reside in the screen
> > memory. when in use. This is why you can't switch between a plug-in and
> > the rest of rockbox without the plug-in closing.
>Actually, plugins have a dedicated 32KB memory area so that's not a problem.
>The reason you can't switch from a plugin back to rockbox without closing
>the plugin is purely a design issue: That's not how they are designed to
>work. It could be done, if we ever find it worthwile. But it would require
>a lot of extra code in both Rockbox and the plugins.

32K of reserved memory ??? and you're after 480 bytes to store icons??

While rockbox is running ...keep the icons in this memory
...load_plugin() will reload them when the plugin returns
...if the plugin needs access to them, then we can make load_icons() public
...might need a bit of fiddling, but we've tackled far bigger problems in
the past :)