Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Recording as plugin? && Icons for file extensions

Re: Recording as plugin? && Icons for file extensions

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 00:20:27 +0000

> > 32K of reserved memory ??? and you're after 480 bytes to store icons??
>
>And yet when we added the plugin buffer, the total footprint of Rockbox
>went *down*.
>
> > While rockbox is running ...keep the icons in this memory
> > ...load_plugin() will reload them when the plugin returns
> > ...if the plugin needs access to them, then we can make load_icons()
> public
> > ...might need a bit of fiddling, but we've tackled far bigger problems in
> > the past :)
>
>Yeah, but then there was a motivation for it. Doing all this fiddling to
>save those 480 bytes is not worth it.
>
>I'm instead looking into putting the browser directory buffer in the
>plugin ram area (when it fits). That gives a substantial ram saving.
>
>--
>Björn

I failed to make my point ...what I mean is ...when rockbox is running you
have 32K of allocated and unused RAM ...this would be an *ideal* place to
store the file icons.

The problem would be ...when you run a plugin the icons may get trashed
...so, in plugin_load(), just before the return instruction, reload the
icons :) ...you could even hold a checksum on the end of the icons and
ONLY reload IFF the icon data were corrupted :)

Sorry for my part in the confusion ;)