Subject: Re: id3v2 incompatibility
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (
Date: 2004-01-09

Jon Drukman wrote:
> it seems like rockbox doesn't like the id3v2 generated by this utility.
> i confirmed this by tagging a file with K-MP3, then loading it in
> rockbox. the artist/title shows up as just dots.

I'd say that K-MP3 behaves badly as it doesn't include a BOM word first
in the Unicode strings, and it stores the 16-bit characters with the
least significant byte first.

 From the ID3V2.3 specification:

"Unicode strings must begin with the Unicode BOM ($FF FE or $FE FF) to
identify the byte order."

I suggest you contact Katarn about this and have them fix their tag
generator. In the mean time, I'll try to make Rockbox guess the byte
order in the unicode strings.