Subject: Re: id3v2 incompatibility
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2004-01-09

Jon Drukman wrote:
> it seems like rockbox doesn't like the id3v2 generated by this utility.
> i confirmed this by tagging a file with K-MP3, then loading it in
> rockbox. the artist/title shows up as just dots.

I'd say that K-MP3 behaves badly as it doesn't include a BOM word first
in the Unicode strings, and it stores the 16-bit characters with the
least significant byte first.

 From the ID3V2.3 specification:

"Unicode strings must begin with the Unicode BOM ($FF FE or $FE FF) to
identify the byte order."

I suggest you contact Katarn about this and have them fix their tag
generator. In the mean time, I'll try to make Rockbox guess the byte
order in the unicode strings.

Linus