Subject: Re: Recording as plugin? && Icons for file extensions
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2004-01-09

BlueChip wrote:
> I failed to make my point ...what I mean is ...when rockbox is running you
> have 32K of allocated and unused RAM ...this would be an *ideal* place to
> store the file icons.

I understood your point, but disagree with it. The icons only use a few hundred bytes, so that's how big the savings will be. The extra code complexity is not worth a few hundred saved bytes.

Moving the dir buffer to the plugin memory, on the other hand, will save 18KB with the default configuration and up to 32KB for those with a larger configured directory size. Such savings can motivate a little added complexity.