Subject: Re: id3v2 incompatibility

Re: id3v2 incompatibility

From: Nix <nix_at_esperi.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:52:40 +0000

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004, Jon Drukman spake:
> sorry, i don't like the term "gratis", and i don't like the
> overloading of the word "free." i never say "free" to mean "open
> source." when i say "open" or "open source" i mean "open source
> software" and when i say "free" i mean "free beer". i think that is a
> much clearer approach.
>
> the fact that "free" and "gratis" are so easily confused in at least 3
> languages (as evidenced by other postings here today) should prove my
> point.

That's why some of us use `gratis' and `libre': free-of-cost versus
free-to-modify-and-redistribute (OSD compliant, what have you).

You are of course free to use the terms of your choice, but pretty much
the entire free software / open source community, when it uses the term
`free', uses it to mean `libre' / `free-to-modify-and-redistribute', so
you might find even more confusion appearing.

Damned English. Ambiguous as hell. We should all speak Z. ;)

--
As they say, build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a
path to your door. But nobody ever got anywhere outlawing mice.