Subject: button?
From: Minuk Choi (
Date: 2004-01-12

hey gang,

    In the Archos FMR, I'm trying to start a face mod(kudos to those who remember that I was the one who had a problem 'cause a button broke off), and I have a question.

    If you've seen the buttons on the circuit board, they look like the following

x1 x2
x3 x4

where "O" is the button itself, and x1, x2, x3, and x4 indicate soldered points.

    Now, from trial and error, it seems like x1 + x4 or x2 + x3 forms the connection(i.e. button has been depressed). The thing is... is there a reason that there are 4 points? Seems like 2 diagonal points is sufficient(it works for power button, arrow buttons), but is there a reason why it's four points?

    So far, there is no proposed schematic or anything for the face mod, but my objective is to

    a) provide an "interface" by providing wires which will override the buttons that are soldered on

    b) option a) would allow for a different physical layout of the keys
    c) option a) would allow for different button mechanisms(touchpad like buttons on iPod-although this smells like proprietary hardware which will be expensive to acquire)

    The reason for this is because I find the button mechanism(a plastic button with an extension to reach the button on the circuit board) to be inefficent, as my F2 plastic button has snapped off, and I have been unable to glue it back on(it broke off again).

Feedbacks and suggestions would be appreciated.