Subject: Re: few remaining issues for memory playback, plugin API
From: kurzhaarrocker (phil_at_carangg.de)
Date: 2004-01-12

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:30:09 +0100, Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
wrote:

>I can't think of any bad side effects from allowing plugins access to
>the settings, so I guess I'm in favor of it. :-)

I had examples of it: You can change e.g. peak_meter_dbfs without
calling settings_apply_pm_range or something equivalent. Now we might
have a peak meter that shows linear scale while the rest of rockbox
assumes it uses logarithmic scale. Writing accessor functions would
solve these problems. You may argue that it's the programmers fault if
he writes code that disregards such side effects. But I think that
there are good reasons why K.I.S.S shouldn't be applied to everything
and that encapsulation in wrappers has valueable benefits.

Phil