Subject: Re: F2 Configuration

Re: F2 Configuration

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:54:14 +0100

H C wrote:
> On a side note, couldn't we allow more than three choices on each
> quick-menu. What about the UP key? or Play/Pause?

We could. The reason we don't currently do this is because I designed the quickmenus to be even quicker than it appears most people use them. :-)

If you hold the F-key down, change an option and then release the F-key, you will return from the menu immediately without pressing the F-key a second time. This allows you to, for example, toggle shuffle with only two button presses.

The disadvantage of this implementation is that it includes limits on which keys can be used. The F-keys and the UP key can not be detected simultaneously (due to the hardware design), and thus can not be used in a quickmenu using the current implementation.

It appears, however, that only very few people use the quickmenus in this way (or even know it's possible) and thus we could forgo this very-quick method and gain the use of the UP key.

The PLAY button can be used in either case. It's currently not used simply because there's no room to write the button assignment text on the screen...

> Also, why not allow more than 2 quick menus. A short-press/long-press
> distinction of F2 & F3 would provide for four of them instead of two.

Yes, that is indeed an option.

--
Björn