Subject: Re: Driver under XP ?
From: Christof Schablinski (mail2_at_schablinski.de)
Date: 2004-01-13

> Hi!
>
> I have an JBR20 (with USB 2.0) since about 2 years now.
> As I can remember I didnīt ever install a driver for it under
> Windows XP. Now I have bought an JBR15 (USB 1.0) for
> spare when there was this offer at Amazon for 169.- Euros.
> When I connected it to my PC it asked for a driver. I had to
> install it from the Archos CD. So my question is: Are only the
> newer USB 2.0 recorders "driverless" under Windows XP?

Your JBR15 doesn't identify itself as UBS Mass Storage device.
The JBRs USB device class codes aren't known to Windows.

I made the same experience with my JBR 20. The one I bought about 2 yrs. ago
identified itself as USB Mass Storage device. WinXP installed its own drivers automatically.
My JBR broke down in Sep. 03. As I connected the repaired JBR to my PC again., WinXP asked me for
drivers, because the JBR had different USB device class codes.
(See my mail 'JBR downgraded to USB 1.1' to this list)

Christof