Subject: Re: Viewing Files With Plugins UPDATED

Re: Viewing Files With Plugins UPDATED

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:20:42 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, [IDC]Dragon wrote:

> > This file is _not_ scanned at boot, but will be read
> > and cached at first use.
>
> When is "first use"? Before displaying a dirctory list for the first time?
> We'd need the icon data and the knowledge on what's "supported" by then, or
> did I get this wrong?

No, you understood me correctly. While I too want the icon data, I really
don't want a system that needs to read lots of files or scan directories when
booting up. That's why I suggest an option for those who rather have icons and
want to wait for them.

> > 3. Check if ".rockbox/viewer/[extension]-[anything].rock" exists, and if
> > it does: use that. These plugins _are not_ scanned at boot nor after USB
> > disconnect.
>
> But they are if "opening" a file which does not match 1. or 2., right?

Yes, so it can keep a cached list after the first use of a plugin, yes.

> > supported
> > formats are of course present, but extensions in the "view.config" are
> > only supported once the file has been read and and so are extensions
> > that
> > have been "verified to work". That means we've played one successfully
> > and
> > thus there was a plugin for it in the proper dir.
>
> Is that only for a class 3. plugin, or also for the ones in the config file?

Both, since there will be no knowledge of any plugins at boot time. The
awareness must be called for by 1. running a plugin (which might only read the
config file if there's a match there) or 2. an option that tells Rockbox to
scan for plugins at boot (which could read only the config file or both the
config and the viewers dir).

> > extension TAB] plugin file name TAB 12 icon digits 00 12 34 56 67 89
>
> I vote for comma instead of tab, different kind of whitespace gets lost so
> easily, but anyway.

I agree. Let's ignore all white spaces and use comma as delimiter.