Subject: Re: What is RLOD?
From: Daniel Gudlat (gudlat_at_web.de)
Date: 2004-01-14

Christof Schablinski wrote:
> what is RLOD?

Red LED Of Death. My cutesy bastardization ( la Windows' Blue Screen
Of Death) of what is otherwise known as RLD - Red Led Death.

It's a phenomenon where due to shock/vibration/movement the disk access
stops working. Symptoms include a more or less non-responsive/hanging
Rockbox and a constantly glowing red LED.

> I've got this Hitachi disk in my JBR 20 ...

Then you can potentially suffer from it as well. The Hitachi disks are
some of the HD models for which RLOD has been obeserved. (There are
indications that RLOD happends only on some HD models.)

Daniel Gudlat