Subject: S/PDIF sync'ing

S/PDIF sync'ing

From: Joris van den Heuvel <joris.bass_at_planet.nl>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:10:46 +0100

Hey all,

I have a question about connecting the digital out of a JBR20 to an S/PDIF device. Recently I decided to give this a try in my mini home studio. The (fully digital) mixing board has 2 S/PDIF inputs. Everything works fine (exactly 0dBFS on the mixer, nice!), until a track change. At this point, playback stops, the mixer has to resync, which lasts about 5 seconds. In those 5 seconds, there's no sound, as the mixer suppresses the unsynced (probably garbled) audio. The same thing happens upon pausing playback.

My guess is that the JBR interrupts the S/PDIF clock and the mixer loses synchronisation. Is there a way to have the S/PDIF clock run constantly? Or is this a MAS3587 "feature"? It makes the digital port useless.

Maybe it's the mixing board that's at fault, I don't know.

Anyone any experience with this?

Regards,
Joris.